VS2017 and NETMF 4.3 - A Hack

Like many, I have been looking for VS 2017 support for Netduino and recently I came across an article discussing how to get NETMF 4.3 working with VS 2017. Now this is a bit of a hack but it seems to work.

Overview:

• Install NETMF 4.4 (installers on the page linked above)
  • Install the VS 2017 add-in (installer on the page above)
  • Copy the NETMF 4.3 into the VS 2017 MSBuild file structure (instructions at the end of post above)

For the last step I had to copy all of the directories (except 4.4) in C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft .NET Micro Framework to the directory C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft\.NET Micro Framework

At the moment this is unsupported and provided as information for those who wish to try and get NETMF working with VS 2017. Iā€™ve been using this configuration for the last 1-2 weeks.

Hope this help,
Mark

2 Likes

Hi Mark
Thanks for taking the time to post this information. As soon as iā€™m back in the office Iā€™ll give it a try and feedback how it went. This would mean that I can get rid of my VS2015 install at last and just use VS2017.

Jason

ā€œAt the moment this is unsupported and provided as information for those who wish to try and get NETMF working with VS 2017ā€ --Nevyn

We started with a similar method when we researched VS2017 support for our NETMF 4.4 HERO robot control board. So the procedure is sound.

Though ultimately we forked and modified netmf-interpreter to produce a VSIX that natively works in VS2017 and our compiled NETMF4.4 stack.

1 Like

http://informatix.miloush.net/microframework/Articles/VS2017SDK.aspx

1 Like

Hi all,
First; thanks to take the time to build and share this solution.
I gave it a try and some codes worked ok but others I have got strange errors.
(I know this is still unsupported, but I thought; it may exist a simple solutionā€¦);
The errors are pointing to System.Collections.Generic which by rights, isnā€™t supportet by .netmf.

Here are the error messages:
Error CS0518 Predefined type ā€˜System.Collections.Generic.IEnumerator`1ā€™ is not defined or imported

Error CS0656 Missing compiler required member 'System.Collections.Generic.IEnumerator`1.Currentā€™

and here is the method where it is happening:

public IEnumerator GetEnumerator()
{
    for (int i = 0; i < this._ItemCount; i++)
    {
        yield return this._people[i];
    }
}

If I change the target framework to version 4.4, it compiles beautifully :slight_smile:
Note: The actual project was done on vs2012 using .netmf 4.3 and netduino plus 2 and is working perfectly.