VS for Mac - ".NETFramework,Version=v4.3" not found

Hi,

I’m running Visual Studio Community 7.5.3 (build 7) for Mac, and running into issues when building projects. I’ve installed the latest extension of .NET MicroFramework (1.0.3).

It looks like I need to install .NET MicroFramework 4.3. Does this come with the MicroFramework extension, and I then need to update my target framework to point to 4.3?

I’m receiving the following error on compilation:

/Library/Frameworks/Mono.framework/Versions/5.10.1/lib/mono/msbuild/15.0/bin/Microsoft.Common.CurrentVersion.targets(5,5): Error MSB3644: The reference assemblies for framework ".NETFramework,Version=v4.3" were not found. To resolve this, install the SDK or Targeting Pack for this framework version or retarget your application to a version of the framework for which you have the SDK or Targeting Pack installed. Note that assemblies will be resolved from the Global Assembly Cache (GAC) and will be used in place of reference assemblies. Therefore your assembly may not be correctly targeted for the framework you intend. (MSB3644)

Thanks,
Jon

Jon, I installed 7.5.4 today and have the exact same error and do not have a clue how to solve this problem. I am only attempting to build the “Blinky” project. Have you discovered a solution to this problem? My Netduino 3 with Ethernet will arrive in two days, but I wanted to start playing around to become familiar with the VS environment. It is a bit disappointing to find a post with the exact same problem and no replies providing any suggestions.

I guess I will have to boot up my old Win10 desktop and see if things run more smoothly there, but I was looking forward to being able to work in my familiar working environment.

Thanks,

Chuck

Hey Guys,

So if you want to setup your mac environment machines for Netduino development, I recommend following the steps on this Hackster project.

An additional step to run the project: Go to your project references, and make sure to add the reference Microsoft.SPOT.Graphics to your project. (its a reference that its missing, but we’re going to roll out a fix really soon).

Once you do that, you should be able to build and run the blinky project from your VS for Mac to your Netduino device.

Thanks,
Jorge

1 Like

Jorge, thanks for the quick response. I was already attempting to follow the Hackster project, and the only MicroFramework found in the Gallery is Version 1.0.3. The specific error both Jon and I experienced reports that the build process is looking for “.NetFramework, Version=4.3”. The error report goes on to suggest to “retarget your application to a version of the framework for which you have the SDK…” etc. as Jon reported in his post.

Version 1.0.3 is what the Hackster project shows we should expect to find in the repository. The Hackster project interleaves instructions for both MacOS and Windows. In the Windows section it refers to MicroFramework Version 4.3 which is the version our build process seems to be looking for. The Windows instructions and the error message talk about “targeting” Version 4.3, but I do not see any similar references to targeting in the MacOS instructions or VS for Mac project options.

I had already added the Microsoft.SPOT.Graphics reference because I found that in the Blinky example from the Wilderness Labs pages.

Because I am unfamiliar with VS and Micro Framework, I probably am missing some simple concept at this point, but I will continue studying the Hackster project and what other information I can find. It is good to know someone is “listening” here. I will also see if I can figure out the Windows environment today.

Thanks,

Chuck

Hi Chuck,

Could you give me a sample project where you’re having trouble running? Maybe I can try to get it to work, and let you know of my findings. I’m sorry you’re experiencing these issues. I just created a Netduino, added the Netduino.Foundation NuGet Package and the project builds and runs on my Mac Mini.

You could also try removing and re-adding each of the references, sometimes VS for Mac have problems losing the references.

Thanks,
Jorge

Jorge, your mention of the Netduino.Foundation NuGet Package was the magic required (to at least build without error). I had not seen any reference to this item on the Hackster.io Getting Started page. It added a number of References to the project and cleared up the source code errors and the build error.

My Netduino arrived this afternoon, so I will be able to test later. I surely will have other difficulties along the way but it is encouraging to get past this one.

Many thanks for this help!

Chuck

Hi Chuck,

Well, adding the Netduino.Foundation package is overkill, because its adding a LOT more reference than required to make the onboard LED blink. However, you most definitely will add this package to whatever you’re going to build since this is the bread and butter of working with any peripherals very easily with its high level API instructions.

I’m sure if you added the references that the source code of the Blink project, you would’ve been able to run it. I’ll update the project docs right now so more people wont get stuck with this little project.

All in all, I’m glad that you got it fixed on time, and please dont hesitate to contact me for further inquiries.

Happy hacking! :slight_smile:

After dinner I started looking for the deploy information, but I think I have another problem before that. My guess is that I need to somehow target the RISC architecture (?) of the Netduino board, but the only places I find any information in the project is for x86.

Can you point me to recommended documentation where I might be able to find necessary information to get to the point where I properly target the hardware and am able to deploy? I know I have lots of basic details to learn and once I get to the point where I can run the blinky program I should then be able to make more use of other example projects.

A few years ago I had an earlier Netduino board and think I got as far as a simple webserver demo before getting sidetracked, and I eventually shipped that board to a school in Nepal. So I need to get back up to speed starting from zero. So much of what is of course trivial to you is totally unknown to me so I don’t know where to look for useful information. I just hope I will not need “hand holding” much longer, I know what a nuisance that can be to others.

Thanks!