VS Code support - Meadow

Hi,

Just received a couple of boards that i will play with during the weekend. :smile:

I read beforehand that it supported VS Code and not just VS.
“You can develop Meadow apps in Visual Studio or VS Code for Mac or Windows. Meadow is a modern development platform.” https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/meadow/meadow-full-stack-net-standard-iot-platform

Anyone with information on where i can find more information on VS Code support?

Thanks!

VS Code support is being worked on and will be available in a future release of the software.

Regards,
Mark

Is there any timeframe for VS Code support? I would prefer it over using Visual Studio Community.

• Niels

So, what is the answer? When can we expect VS Code support?
I just bought a brick because I can’t for the life of me get the stinking ST Driver to install and show up in device mgr.
I even wiped my Dell laptop and re-installed Win 10 trying to get my meadow development going.
You promised!
Please, just give us a hint.

Hi,

I am using VS Code on Ubuntu but it requires the use of the command line interface.

What I do is:

1. Create new project with
    dotnet new console -f net5.0 -o ProjectName (make sure that you have installed the latest dotnet-core SDK)
  2. add the Meadow dependencies with the dotnet CLI command dotnet add package from nuget Meadow and Meadow.Foundation. You then should find those dependencies in the .csproj file in the ItemGroup
  3. The next step is to change the Framework to net4.8 in the .csproj file and run dotnet restore after changing it.
  4. You then can proceed with the code from the Hello World example
  5. To build the project run dotnet msbuild ProjectName.csproj
  6. Upload the files from the build directory to the Meadow using the Meadow CLI

I recommend to install the C# Extension of Microsoft from the Marketplace.

Maybe this helps.

Regards,
Daniel

1 Like

Hello,

Thankfully by public contribution, we have a meadow VS Code extension in this latest beta 5 release. More information here: GitHub - WildernessLabs/VSCode_Meadow_Extension: Meadow Extension for Visual Studio Core. Enables build and deploy.