I think that the recent post has helped in this issue ... if you look https://github.com/WildernessLabs/Netduino_SDK/issues/7 - scroll to the bottom of the explanation you will see that it mentions calls that fail. The ApplianceHost project is calling the very last method.
I just got a bright idea that I can try and set everything up on my Mac Mini and attempt to run ApplianceHost there. It might be a good data point.
Here is the output...
HalSystemInfo.halVendorInfo: Netduino 3 Wi-Fi (v220.127.116.11) by Secret Labs LLC
ClrInfo.clrVendorInfo: Netduino 3 Wi-Fi (v18.104.22.168) by Secret Labs LLC
SolutionReleaseInfo.solutionVendorInfo: Netduino 3 Wi-Fi (v22.214.171.124) by Secret Labs LLC
SoftwareVersion.BuildDate: May 14 2015
HAL build info: 126.96.36.199, Netduino 3 Wi-Fi (v188.8.131.52) by Secret Labs LLC
OEM Product codes (vendor, model, SKU): 34, 177, 4105
Serial Numbers (module, system):
Solution Build Info: 184.108.40.206, Netduino 3 Wi-Fi (v220.127.116.11) by Secret Labs LLC
One thing I noticed is that you have to Connect to the Netduino first to get output. I also erased the memory and re-deployed. Once I run ApplicanceHost I see network NULL exception.
I could not for the life of me get ApplianceHost running on my Mac - it seems to just hang for a very long time.