And this is strange. For reasons I'd rather not go into here, I needed to restore the OS on this laptop. And as a pretext in case it wouldn't work, I also installed Virtual Box. Before that I installed everything needed to build code for the Netduino and then deploy to it. At first the thing could not be found, it turns out that the cable I chose, wasn't, ah, properly configured. Instead I chose the one I used before the process was needed for this laptop. And this time it was found. VS2015 was guided to the sample batch, and it worked after a fashion. This is no longer a Windows Insider build, I plan on using one, one day, on a disposable system. Comments are requested, but help is not.
"That takes me back!"