Netduino power consumption and supply voltage

I’m planning on moving my Netduino project to standalone. I have a single transformer that will supply 12v at 2A DC. This will be connected to a SPST switch to turn everything on. The other end of the switch will have two DC to DC down converters. Each converter can take 6.5-12v input and output both 3.3 and 5v simultaneously with two regulators with a total output of 700mA per converter. The total supply to circuit will be 3 x 5v rails and 1 x 3.3v rail with a total of 1400mA.

I plan on powering everything from the rails (except a 12v LED strip requiring 120mA which will be at the switch). There will be two 5v servos and a light sensor all controlled by the Netduino that do not seem to have a current load. A Camera that has a 90mA max current load and 8051F340 with about 14mA current load. The 8051, Netduino, and camera will communicate via UART and will share common ground. Based on what I’m seeing it looks like I have plenty of power in “safe ranges” assuming the DC to DC converters provide accurate voltages.

I’d like some information on what I can expect from load current from the Netduino since none of the devices will be directly powered by it. After much research (and please correct me if I’m wrong) I find that the Netduino can be powered via the barrel connection using 7V and 12V. It also seems it can be power via the Vin pin with 5v form the rail. Can anyone confirm this conclusion and give any advantages or disadvantages to powering via Vin or barrel connector?

Hi RJMason,

I assume you are using Netduino 3.
For use in the field. I would recommend to use the barrel connector because it is much easy to remove in case of replacement or update and also more protected.
Other thing to think about is; if you use 12V, netduino will heat more and it may be a problem if installed in a box without ventilation, for instance.

Do you already have the schematic? If not, you can download from Here.
You can check the maximum expected currents from the power supply wich gives a good idea of power reserve.