IoT which way is the best?

When we want to connect Netduino on Internet there are differnt way.

1. Use a static Ip and Router forward Port, so we direct connect Netduino Server and we can send command directly.

2. Use a server and connect Netduino and User like in a chat system and tunnel the request between Netduino and user

3. Use a server and storage for little time command and notification between Netduino e user.

I want to ask to community which system do you like more?

For 1st solution there are a lot of code examples, can anyone share examples on 2nd and 3rd??

Did nobody use microframework .NET for real environmental products?

Hi Alessandro.

Like many things, it depends. Can you share your use case? What is your latency tolerance? Something else to consider is security.

For your option #2, I’ve been thinking about building a server that will accept requests from client and server (netduino) and proxy messages between the two via web socket. Unfortunately, I don’t have anything concrete yet to share with you.

Another thing I’ve been exploring is Azure Iot Hub. I haven’t been able to play with it extensively, but I’m excited about it.

Lastly, how are you building the web server on your netduino? Maple is a lightweight server built specifically for the netduino which might be a good option for you.

bk

1 Like

Latency is normal user tolerance… 5 second max.
Anyway thanks for answer… It is a design choice…

Hi

From memory the N3 WIFI chip can only support 8 TCP/UDP or 2 TLS sessions concurrently so inbound connectivity from the wild wild web can rapidly go bad.

I have a couple of nRF24L01 on RPI2/3 (AdaFruit.IO & Azure IOT Hubs) & N3Wifi (AdaFruit.IO) based field gateways for *duino devices (currently telemetry only) which might not work for your application

A watchdog fitted to the Netduino based field gateway helps a lot with uptime…

I was looking at adding support for commands to the next version of the two Windows 10 IoT core based field gateways and doing LoRa versions as well.

https://www.hackster.io/KiwiBryn